Sunday, June 8, 2008

it's too hot...

Didn't do much this week, possibly because the last few days were HOT. I wasn't expecting it and it struck me hard. It was the I-don't-want-to-move hot. Oddly enough, I did go out during the the hotter days of the week, which makes no sense. One possible explanation is that my room is HOT. It is tiny as well as cluttered. I blame it on blackbody radiation and can actually imagine heat waves coming out of anything that has a temperature greater than zero kelvins..which is...everything.. (never though I'd ever say that again...sigh, Chemistry...) Another possibility is that my computer, being as ancient as it is, is releasing most of heat. Or, as mum says, I have too much hair, which I do...so I will anticipate a haircut. The sudden heat melted my kit kat bar, which was rather sad. I threw the kitkat in the fridge in hopes that it would still be good but it just wasn't the same. I thought my M&Ms would hold up to the heat via its hard candy shell but it ended up changing shape. They look more like sea shells now... I also had a Twix bar but I don't want to imagine how that turned out...


(mmm, tasty...)

Anyways, I had lunch with Nelson again this week. We ate at Sushi Delight which is good like always, but I think we didn't order enough food! We got the lunch special bentos and a california and unagi roll combo. I would say its one our favourites as we always find ourselves back there for a quick lunch. Good value and good taste is what keeps us going back. Service and staff has always quick and nice but could be better at times. It renovated not too long ago and is much nicer and a lot darker than before. The pictures on the site makes it look a lot bigger than it is. I definitely recommend this place for its lunch specials, which is about $6-7 a combo. Also, they apply a 15% discount for take-out orders (which excludes the lunch specials, of course). They used to give out 15% dine-in coupons with their menu in the mail, but I haven't received one in a while. You can see one from 2 years ago on their website. Metric (the band) also likes them, especially their lunch specials!

Sushi Delight Japanese Restaurant
461 Danforth Avenue
Toronto, ON
M4K 1P1
(416) 406-0288

Get off at Chester station and walk towards Pape station (I think that's East?)
It is on the opposite street, before Tim Hortons.

The weather wasn't so bad that day but it was sunny with a nice breeze. We parted ways after lunch and I ended up walking from Danforth to Yonge Bloor...then to College where I bumped into Nelson again! It was kind of amusing since he took the subway. I don't think I did anything else that day but I did get some pictures! Some of these were already uploaded on Flickr. You can tell I love macro. Macro!! I wish I could set focus myself because sometimes the auto focus doesn't do what I want it to...




I also woke up one day with a tiny box of Macaroons on the table. I think they were a gift from mum's friend. They were tiny and really cute. Really tasty too! The sides had these really nice ridges that had a different texture from the buttery-coconut filling. I usually don't like coconuts in my baked goods but these were balanced well. Sadly, I only had one before they were all gone. And that, my friends, was the only highlight of that day. Haha! I was also watching Paula's home cooking that day and my, she uses a lot of butter and bacon! Bacon wrapped corn and deep friend bacon wrapped mac n' cheese. Wow.





I also got a free pack of Icebreakers "Ice Cubes" spearmint gum while walking someplace. I think its funny how people (including me) take free products from strangers standing around in the street so easily. What if they were part of an evil scheme? We check out candies during Halloween but seem to ignore the fact that these goods could be contaminated with. I would say that most people would eat them within an hour of getting them. In fact, most of the freebies downtown involve you putting it in your mouth (chocolates, candies, cereals, pops and toothpaste!) so I hope no one is evil enough to do such a thing. Anyways, assuming these candies are safe and I'm just crazy, they're kind of fun. They're shaped more like sugar-cubes that ice-cubes but I guess that would defeat the "SUGAR FREE GUM" label on the box. Seeing how its sugar free, they also stuffed it with a lot of alcohol-bases sweeteners (Xylitol, Maltitol) which aren't that great for you either. There is also aspartame, acesulfame-potassium and other artificial sweeteners. I was very disappointed to have seen these in the ingredients. Did you know one of them causes cancers? I'm sure a lot of people don't know that, but hey...its sugar free!

I also did some surveys/interviews for Rotman and Bibliocommons. The Rotman survey was on consumer products and I found it really amusing because it gave the weirdest scenario:
"You are in a furniture store and you find a desk for $175. The store also has a deli and they sell icecream for $0.25. Would you buy the desk? Do you think the icecream is affordable? Do you think the desk is good quality? Do you think the icecream is high quality?" Then they made me listen to someone sing James Blunt.... The Bibliocommons one was about libraries and I guess trying to connect users in a social and informative way. They also gave me a job and I will be starting tomorrow :) Yay.

Saw this guitar in the recycling bin one day when walking home. I wonder if it broke before it was dumped or was broken to be dumped. If it was the later I wish they didn't break it because I would've taken it and learn to play happy songs from the like of Feist and the Beatles. Mmm hmm! Also, Worldwide Developer's Conference is tomorrow! There isn't anything I'm looking for (I don't really care about the iPhone) but I do hope they surprise us all with macbook upgrades! Come on, early Nahelem PLEASE! I am heavily swayed to take up the "free iPod touch with macbook/imac purchase" plus I will get to use my student discount. Eeee! Would love to get a macbook for school and an iMac for home to replace this loveable but loud computer. I did wait out an entire year and the Penryn upgrades didn't satisfy me, so show me some goodness, Steve! Work also has a new looking iMac..ho hum..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want some Macaroons!

I like taking freebies from strangers! As long as they're officially supported by the company and they have loads of it! And they have to wear t-shirts with the logo printed on it or it's a no go.... maybe not. I'd still take things from them.

GEEEEEEEEEeeee-tar!

Anonymous said...

cherry blossom fist fight